Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Mother Daughter Sleepover

I can't say that I love the fact that my children are growing up. I love to watch them grow and learn and change. But I also grieve the years that will no longer be. I embrace each season and stage of life, but I also look back and remember when they were younger. Kaylynn just turned 10, and I almost cried. She is really growing up. She is still a child, but things are changing. Our time together is different now. Our conversations have a different depth; we hang out and "just talk." We still have lots of silly fun together, though....enter mother/daughter slumber party! (just a side note: we also had a wonderful family party with those that live close enough to share in the festivities. Lots of love from grandparents, auntie, uncle, and cousins who pitched in to get Kaylynn the perfect gift....a kindle so she can read in between trips to the library. We truly are blessed to be surrounded by so many people who want to celebrate the lives of our children).



Back to the sleepover. My kiddos do not spend the night with their friends yet. They have done slumber parties with family, and that is all. I am simply not ready to let them stay away from me overnight. Kaylynn desperately wanted to have a sleepover with her dearest friends; they call each other BFF's (Best Friends Forever...so cute). So, we decided to do a mother/daughter sleepover. This was a big hit for all the mamas because many of them are of the same mindset or have little darlings that are not ready to sleep over somewhere without them (it helps that I am friends with all of these moms).


So the boys and Cami went to grandma's house for the night while Kaylynn, Kalli, and I stayed home and welcomed all the beautiful guests. We had so much planned, and the girls were beside themselves.



Individual homemade pizzas for dinner, flashlight tag in the dark, silly games in the living room, pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting, Anne of Green Gables, make your own picture frames, make up on the mamas and the girls (which was entertaining), many homemade gifts from friends to the birthday girl, and late night laughter and stories. The morning greeted us earlier than we were ready for, but the waffles, strawberries, and whip cream kept the excitement rolling. We were all exhausted by the end but feeling completely blessed to have so many wonderful gals to share in celebrating Kaylynn's 10th birthday.

Not sure who took this picture, but the girls sure had fun doing all the mama's makeup...
I think the blush and lipstick were favorites.

My heart swells when I think about the opportunity I have with my children. The opportunity for relationship. Sitting in the living room in our pajamas at 11:00pm sharing stories of when the girls were "younger." Moms and girls alike sharing what they remember. A story mingled with laughter and blessing. I looked around, and felt emotion rising in me. Here in our living room was a community. Not just a room full of wonderful little girls but their moms as well. These moms that speak love and blessing into my children. These moms who cheer for one another. These moms who are full of encouragement. And those sweet little girls: when one is sad, they surround her with hugs and love. When one doesn't know some of the others, they embrace her and make her feel welcome. It was such a beautiful thing to be a part of. 


 I think I will always do mother/daughter sleepovers.

No comments: