Thursday, April 18, 2013

Take A Walk

Most of you know that I write as the Children's Editor for an online minimalist footwear forum ToeSalad. Most of you know that I love finding new minimalist footwear for my family. But you may not know that we recently started taking barefoot walks.


What freedom (after the initial soreness when in contact with a sharp rock) to feel the cool pavement and then the warm pavement. To feel the soft, welcoming grass, to wiggle my toes in a warm puddle. My feet thank me for giving them the freedom to connect with the earth, to enjoy the richness of the mud.


We were created barefoot, yet we restrict our feet everyday. We all have reasons, be it "fashion" or  "support" or something else. I challenge you to throw off your shoes three times this week. Go outside barefoot; let your feet engage and enjoy creation. Then leave a comment and tell me how it went!

It is spring, kick off your feet casts and take a barefoot walk!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. I also have a blog in which I review minimalist shoes but nothing beats walking barefoot. With the weather getting warmer, I've found myself walking around the house and garden barefoot and it's such a nice feeling to be able to feel the ground again. If only I lived in New Zealand where going barefoot in public is a social norm and not considered "weird" or "hippyish"