Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grafton Notch State Park

Grafton Notch State Park is one of the state's hot tourist attractions (although not usually in the winter). It is known for its breathtaking views, great hiking, superb bird watching, and some very difficult terrain. It is also part of the Appalachian Trail, which if you have never heard of it, there is a great documentary about it on Netflix. Kaylynn requested it when she was sick last week. It spans over 2,000 miles through 13 states on the East Coast. Kaylynn says, "I want to hike the whole trail someday." Who knows? Maybe we will (it will take about 6 months).

So, we took a little family trek up there a few weekends ago, and we were not disappointed. The older two wanted to hike all the way to the top, but Kalli's little legs just couldn't go any further. So we slid down back to the car. We will return (with a sled for pulling Kalli). I was so inspired by my children. They worked together over the difficult areas, holding hands and offering words of encouragement to one another. It was such a tangible picture of the body of Christ working together and spurring one another on. As a body of believers we need each other so much. This hike was not a spiritual journey in the literal sense, but I pulled such a valuable lesson from it. I could see us getting to the top if we had been prepared with the right tools (for Kalli) because of all the encouragement we offered one another. I can also see how it could have gone completely the opposite direction if we did not help each other along or take a hand when it was needed. So, I am asking the Lord for more opportunities to teach my children how to love as Christ wants us to love and how to spur one another on and offer encouragement as often as possible. I am so thankful to have my children and husband to walk this journey out with.









No comments: