Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dairy Free/Soy Free Chocolate Cake


Here is my recipe for a DELICIOUS dairy free/soy free chocolate cake. I have been asked for this recipe too many times to count so I figured it was time to blog it. I have sold a few of these cakes, and the response I get is, "that cake was to die for." So be prepared to share so you won't eat it all!

2 Cups Sugar (I know lots...but hey it is cake)!
1 3/4 c flour (I use King Arthur)
3/4 c cocoa (fair trade and/or hersheys both work well. Do NOT use Nestle)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 c Goat's Milk
1/2 c olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c boiling water

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all your dry ingredients then add eggs, goat's milk, and oil. whisk it all together (I do not use a mixer, but I assume you would mix it at medium speed until it is smooth). Then add the boiling water and mix again; your batter will be thing. Pour into pan (I use a bunt cake pan)
Bake 30-35 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.

Frosting
1/2 cup Earth's Harvest Dairy Free/Soy Free buttery spread
(this is a great substitution to use when you are need of butter, but it does have canola oil in it so if you are allergic to canola oil you may have to try something different)
2/3 c cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c goat's milk
1 tsp vanilla
Melt the butter, stir in your cocoa...make sure you get a smooth mixture of the two before adding the powdered sugar. Alternately add the powdered sugar and the milk until it is spreadable consistency. You can add more milk if you need to....then stir in the vanilla. Frost your cake, add a side of Coconut Milk ice cream and you have a perfect dairy free/soy free birthday dessert!!!!

My photos of the cake are not the greatest but I added one anyway so you get the idea. You can make this Vegan as well and it tastes just as delicious. Simply substitute 2 tablespoons applesauce for the eggs and use Almond milk or Coconut milk instead of Goat's Milk. ENJOY!

No comments: