Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Remembering Lent

I cannot believe that April is coming to an end and May is just around the corner. Time certainly does move more quickly as I get older. Remember telling me that this would happen Dad? I remember it, just as I remember last summer. Well, our Lenten Fast was one of those things that went very quickly (yes, we ended it early) and a little different from what I expected. And now, we have what we remember.
A few thoughts and new perspectives when fasting with young children:
  • Remember that it is not a law nor is it about what we take away but what we add.
  • We gave our kids flexibility so they changed what they were fasting about halfway through.
  • That change made the whole Lenten fast more difficult.....when fasting as a family, it is best to all fast the same thing.
  • Regardless of what we were fasting and how much and when we ended the fast, we all made more time to sit in the presence of our Lord and Savior.
  • I love listening to my husband teach the Word to my children!
  • I love listening to all the questions my kids have!
  • I love hearing Kalli pray...."dear Jesus, help Jesus, Amen!
This week we have stopped the "fast," but our time with the Lord has remained the same, and I am very excited about that! We are taking this week to reflect on the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. Those of you who know us well enough know that we do not celebrate various holidays just because of their "religious" connotations (as most of them have pagan roots), but we are not opposed to using the season, holiday, and time of year as a means to remember. The Israelites were always setting up "signs of remembrance," and I believe the Lord loves it when we do this as well. I have been so blessed to REMEMBER this week. To remember our new passover lamb, to remember what the passover used to mean and remember what it means now, to remember Jesus eating with his disciples knowing what was to come and going forth anyway. And most importantly to remember that because of His sacrifice my sins have been forgiven, and I can live eternally with Him. I encourage you to take time this week to remember whatever it is the Lord wants you to remember, and allow that remembrance to lead to thankfulness.
Feel free to leave a comment if you would like to share what you are remembering!

2 comments:

Louise said...

Here is what we did: (its at the end of my post)
http://blgwjebjohnson7.blogspot.com/
we got the idea from
http://www.aholyexperience.com/page/2/

(again scroll almost all the way down)

Johnson Family said...

Thanks Louise for sharing about your Easter Garden! I love it!